Meriwether Lewis (1774 – 1809) is my 9th great grand-uncle.
• Zachary Lewis (1702 – 1765) father of Meriwether Lewis
• Mary Lewis (1726 – 1755) daughter of Zachary Lewis
• John “Black John” Nickell (1738 – 1807) son of Mary Lewis
• Mary Polly Nickel (1774 – 1847) daughter of John “Black John” Nickell
• Margaret “Peggy” Cravens (1792 – 1831) daughter of Mary Polly Nickel
• Mary Jane Hite (1816 – 1903) daughter of Margaret “Peggy” Cravens
• Bernard S. Adam (1845 – ) son of Mary Jane Hite
• Eliza Ann Adams (1821 – 1864) daughter of Bernard S. Adam
• John Barrett (twin) (1837 – 1894) son of Eliza Ann Adams
• Edward Barrett (1862 – 1954) son of John Barrett (twin)
• Ellen Barrett (1905 – 1999) daughter of Edward Barrett
• Donald Barrett Danner son of Ellen Barrett
• Karen Louise Danner Loveless, I am the daughter of Donald Barrett Danner
The Lewis and Clark Expedition, also known as the Corps of Discovery Expedition, was the first American expedition to cross what is now the western portion of the United States, departing in May, 1804 from St. Louis on the Mississippi River, making their way westward through the continental divide to the Pacific coast.
The expedition was commissioned by President Thomas Jefferson shortly after the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, consisting of a select group of U.S. Army volunteers under the command of Captain Meriwether Lewis and his close friend Second Lieutenant William Clark. Their perilous journey lasted from May 1804 to September 1806. The primary objective was to explore and map the newly acquired territory, find a practical route across the Western half of the continent, and establish an American presence in this territory before Britain and other European powers tried to claim it.
I know as a child I remember my grandmother telling us we was related to Meriwether Lewis, but I was never sure how we tried into him, so when I found out how, it was if I discovered a long-lost family member. I know there are other famous family members on all the family lines, that as we discover them in our family it gives us a sense of pride to know we are related to those who have made a mark in history.
So what famous family members do you have in your family?